On the Journey

A journey through the world, through a small 27 year time span, and more importantly towards the beckoning yet elusive heart of God

6.13.2007

Can it be done already? (when its time to stop buying groceries)

I feel like I was just going along normally, and all of a sudden everything became a panic about final exams. How can the end pounce on me so suddenly? So many tests and review guides to create, grades to hand out, old homework to hand back, last meetings with people who are living, attempts to clean up the apartment.

I think my least favorite time in life is the period where it is not worth buying new groceries, as you will be leaving, and you have to creatively use or throw away the perishable goods that you have. The first moment you realize "oh man I have to start using this stuff up", then you know the end (or at least some end) is upon you. Goodbyes, graduations, appreciation dinners, special lectures, no time to appreciate the suddenly gorgeous breezes, as the Siberian winter has slid away into a sticky continental summer.

Will I use the summer well? I hope so! I want to apply to schools and scholarships, to start writing a book maybe, to work hard on Korean, to visit friends and supporters; we'll see how all that pans out.  Whatever happened to the well-rounded, jack-of-all-trades idea man? The capitalist economy doesn't exactly select for people who spend their days pondering about the flaws of Plantegenet England, the mysteries of Korean morphophonology, what exactly Jesus was trying to say with the parable of the day-laborers, what implications quantum mechanics has for postmodern theology, etc.... Oh well, I know Jesus loves me anyway, even if I'm not exactly cut out to be a cog in the great Capitalist machine.

In the meantime, I'll be staring out the window trying to extracate myself from a stack of  files.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy 29th, Thor. :)

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger dredas said…

    Hi Thor,

    Ugh, it's a long time I didn't hear anything from you since meeting you in Kaunas :)

    If you read this, you know who is writing, I would be happy to get a note from you.

    Nerijus

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger carla said…

    Hi Thor!
    How was s.Korea? I've had a chance to read your musings...love how you express life. I'll look forward to reading more. I'm back in good ol' Nebraska...when do you head back?
    Carla =)

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    " I remember once I found my kindergarten report card, which read: Thor has many good ideas but he is not very good at finishing what he started. By the time he is halfway through one thing, he already has an idea about the next thing he wants to do. Man, isn't that the truth."
    It's pretty clear to me you simply need an assistant. I'm always surprised at how many people want to buy my stained glass designs; but there really are lots of folks out there who want to build something without being the creator of that something. Thor,you just need Edison's laboratory and staff and who knows where all these ideas could go?!
    I remember feeling my ed. was similarly wasted at 30 years; but he has used every iota of it..just not how and where I thought or would have asked for. I think Dad would want a luxurious Ph.D program with a car for you. It may or may not be on your timetable. Robin Ayars, E. Lansing MI

     

Post a Comment

<< Home