On the Journey

A journey through the world, through a small 27 year time span, and more importantly towards the beckoning yet elusive heart of God

5.08.2006

Apology #2

I think i was a little bit too downhearted in my last email. I know not all LCC graduates were abusing alcohol either. It was just the general feel and it was how i was feeling. Just to let you know, i think i want to be honest with my thoughts on this blog. of course at any given moment we can't see all sides of the issue, and often in hindsight we have different understanding. But i am the kind of person i want to own what i am feeling at any given moment, and that is what i was feeling.

I know obviously that not all Lithuanians drink. I also got sad about the alcohol problems even at Michigan State University. I mean we had three drunken riots in the time i was there, for no good reason- i even got tear gassed in my own dorm. So its not that LCC is way worse than anywhere else. its just that i think everywhere in the world, abuse of alcohol makes me sad. people use alcohol to escape or to free themselves from themselves.

this last week has been a great one, and this highly uncharacteristic weather may have had something to do with it! there have been cloudless days in the upper 70s for the whole week. I have gotten to be out in the sun, and to go to the beach like three times this week. The cherry trees are blooming, the chestnut trees will start next week. The new green in Lithuania is something incredible. I almost feel like who took away the real Lithuania and replaced it with this lush verdant sunny country?

We even had a forest fire this week, out on the Curonian spit- you could see helicopters with the buckets for dumping water flying back and forth.

I have had to say a lot of goodbyes this week too. It is hard to keep track anymore of who is even still around. I don't know how many of my friends and students here i will get to see again, but i hope so- one never knows. i have had some random connections with people over the years.

So to all you who live in Lietuva- marvel at the tulip flowers, soak in the sunshine, and make your friendships count this week. For those of you who don't live here, nevermind us while we go enjoy the spring that the rest of the world got two months ago :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home