On the Journey

A journey through the world, through a small 27 year time span, and more importantly towards the beckoning yet elusive heart of God

5.11.2006

Language dork....

I am such a big one.

Ma ei räägu eesti keelt!

In November 2004 I was with my friend Jon in Tallinn, Estonia and we decided to go to the Lutheran mass at the cathedral. We were given a program of the readings and music. Since i didn't know much estonian, and i didn't want to be disruptive during the service. i figured out where the Lord's Prayer was in the program based on the repetition patterns, and began isolating all kinds of Estonian morphemes out of the data. I figured out I would say about 8 sets of case endings, the verbal morphology, the pronomial system, the main christian vocabulary, and by the end of the mass i had a pretty good idea what we were singing about in the responsive choruses in Estonian.

Now i am making little flash cards to start learning the basics of one of the most difficult languages in the world: Georgian (Kartuli)

Georgian has not one, but 6 ejective consonants! It has cases i have never heard of before! i am such a dork. I love learning these new squiggly words beginning with impossible consonant combinations. I kid you not, mtvshkhra is a possible Georgian word.

ბამარჯოგად ერდი შაშლიჩ დუ შეიკლეგა! gamarjobat erti shashlyk tu sheidzleba

I can now order a shashlyk politely in Kartuli. I am ready to go.

Thanks for all of the people who have had to put up with me talking about vowel shifts, bantu gender systems and aboriginal languages over the last 5 years. Thanks for feigning interest.

Its nice to know that there is something you are good at. :)

ბმათლოგდ tänan kiitos paldies ačiū danke merci gracias grazi multumesc спасибо дякую hvala zdravo dekuji дзякуй takk obrigado faleminderit teşekürler

3 Comments:

  • At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Thor,

    How are you learning Georgian? Are you doing this on your own or do you have anybody to teach you?
    Well, I figured out that I can learn languages myself using textbooks or the internet sources. Being a self-taught person, you can learn how to read and write (this is how I used to try learning Italian and Arabic). However, when it comes to speaking, you certainly need a person! (At some point I had no problem in writing in Arabic. Unfortunately, this didn’t mean that I could say much of anything meaningful:) and even if I could, the problem of pronunciation would be still there)
    Speaking about Georgian, its consonants are really fun… especially ჭ, წ, ღ, and ყ letters. Even after almost 1 year of communication with Georgians I still have problems with pronouncing ღ and ყ. Georgian verbs with their markings of tense and person are also incredible. You have to figure out the rules! :) When you do, please, tell me, because my Georgian friends refused to explain those to me. They said Georgian is too complicated for European to learn and understand.
    By the way, one of my Georgian friends is planning to come to Lithuania this summer. It’s a pity you are leaving that time.

    p.s. reflecting on your previous posts, please, don’t call yourself jerk or dork or something else even if don’t mean it seriously, because... First, God never makes junk. Second, you are closer to being ‘perfect’ (in any sense of this word) than many of us.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Thor said…

    Wow! You know some Georgian? Youre my new hero. Ive looked all over online and its been really difficult to find any good materials. I can find basic phrases and complicated linguistic analyses, but not much in between...

    If you have any good sources let me know!

    ღ doesn't seem to hard to me- just a voiced velar fricative, but yeah the ejective consonants are pretty hard!

    Thanks for the reminder at the end too. I don't really believe those things deep down about myself, but i guess its just self-deprecating humor

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, so I know that you studied linguistics at the university...masters, right? But this post impressed me....

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Russian language. Бог дал мне способность к русскому языку,но один другой язык достоточно для меня!!!!

    :)
    April

     

Post a Comment

<< Home