On the Journey

A journey through the world, through a small 27 year time span, and more importantly towards the beckoning yet elusive heart of God

8.16.2006

TUEBOR!

Ok- so I seriously love my home state of Michigan. There are many times where i feel much more patriotic about being a Michigander (and NO it is NOT Michiganian!!) than about being an American. I have basically spent since July 1st in my home state of Michigan, excluding a few hours in Bayfield, WI, and an extended weekend this past weekend in Nashville (more on that above). In some ways it has been hard, as i have had no regular access to a car, and the American public transportation system sucks, so i have been bored sometimes, and feel far away from my friends. In fact i think in some ways God has, in this time, been stripping me of many of the things that i found my identity in; a job, doing ministry, friendships, academics, being surrounded by languages, being "good" at being a European. The thing that is left to me is Jesus...

But in many ways it has been a good time- i have had a lot of time to think and pray and come to grips with who i am when noone is watching except God, and a lot of times to learn to appreciate my homeland again, and some great bonding time with my parents and family members.

But back to my main topic of this post: the glories of the State of Michigan :) I have always come back here, to Michigan, no matter how much i wander in this world. I realize what a great neighborhood community i grew up in here in Traverse City, and especially what a GREAT church community i grew up in at University Reformed Church in East Lansing. I got all four of my degrees from Michigan State University, a university that is 90% Michiganders, and as i drive across the highways of this great state, the green exit signs pronounce the names of towns that are homes to great friends, people whose stories i got to hear while a proud Spartan, studying on the bank of the Red Cedar River.. Towns like Kalamazoo, Ontonogan, South Haven, South Lyon, Zeeland, Leland, Mount Pleasant, Mount Clemens, Pentwater, Coldwater, Sand Lake, Fife Lake, Grass Lake, Lake Odessa, Ionia, Sparta, Negaunee, Ishpeming, litter the landscape of my friendships and memories, as i drive down I-75 or I-94 or US 27 or US 131...

Did you know that Michigan has the longest coastline of any state, except Alaska?

That it takes longer to drive from Monroe, Michigan to Copper Harbor, Michigan than it takes to drive from Detroit to Florida?

That Michigan is home to the highest ski jump in the Western Hemisphere?

That Michigan has the highest mountains between the Alleghenies and the Black Hills?

That one of the most important battles of the War of 1812, which gave the US control over the Great Lakes, was fought at Mackinac?

Submitted with this post are some great photos of Michigan i have taken this month. Hopefully you can all learn to appreciate this great state along with me :)




2 Comments:

  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, beautiful pics of your home state, Thor.

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    love it! I've been in a very pro-hometown mood lately as well. Odd, considering how badly I wanted out of here after high school! When do you leave?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home