On the Journey

A journey through the world, through a small 27 year time span, and more importantly towards the beckoning yet elusive heart of God

5.11.2006

Immigration

I picked up two professors from the Vilnius airport last friday and they asked me what is my view on the "immigration problem"

My answer was "what immigration problem?"

No seriously. I read on BBC that people in the US are all mad because someone translated Star Spangled Banner into spanish.

I seriously do not see what is the problem with that, and why anyone would care.

Yesterday my friend Fabian was turned down for a visa by our hardworking INS officers. He just wanted to visit friends in Minnesota who had even bought him a plane ticket! It was just a dream to see America and to spend time volunteering with a church there.

And they turned him down for no reason- he had all the documents in place.

Seriously seeing immigration from this side of the ocean will really make you change your viewpoint.

Every American is an immigrant from somewhere. Europeans benefitted from a time of realtively lax immigration laws. Isn' t it a bit racist to say "its ok for Europeans to have unrestricted immigration to the US, but as soon as it starts being Mexicans and Asians, then we should pull up the ladder after us"?

Todays immigrants also want to learn English. The biggest opponents to bilingual education are immigrants themselves, who desperately want their children to learn English. Many of the people trying to move to the US could write a much better essay in English than the average american could. remember too that it took the Europans often a couple generations to learn English when they first moved to the US.

ANd why should everyone have to learn English, and the lazy Americans go throughout the world just expecting everyone to know their language? I think immigrants to the US should learn ENglish yes, but i think Americans should learn Spanish as well. Spanish is the first language of 16% of our population after all.

In Finland swedes are only 5% of the population, yet over half of the finnish population can speak Swedish. THey are commited to honoring and respecting their minority populations.

It is WAAAAAY harder for a Finn to learn Swedish than an American to learn Spanish. After all Spanish is the easiest language in the world for English speakers to learn.

Nevermind the fact that states such as California Texas Arizona New Mexico and COlorado are only part of the United States because we sent an invasion army and surrounded Mexico City and threatened to burn it to the ground unless they ceded us those lands. The areas were most Spanish-speaking immigrants live were forcibly taken from Mexico anyway, and were in Mexican hands way longer than they have been in American hands. Look it up: it is called the Mexican Cession

It only makes everyones life more interesting and colorful to speak many languages and have a multi-lingual society.

America- no sea racista! Dije no a racisma! Commenca a apprender espanol! Es bueno para tu futuro y para el futuro de las genercaiones siguantes tambien!

(Pardon my Spanish, it is my 6th language, and has suffered in the time i have not been living in the states, as i have been concentrating on learning other languages)

My dream for America is that hard working people will freely be able to visit and work in the United States, the same way that Americans are able to freely visit other countries.

After all Americans, you could have been born an Albanian, as which you would "need a visa to go to the toilet" as my Albanian friend Marian once said.

Americans aren't inherently better than anyone else, nor do we deserve more than the Belarussians Albanians and Moldovans do. Nationalism is a very dangerous thing.

I step off my soapbox now.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Whoa, we must be on the same wavelegnth! I just finished posting some thoughts on this issue myself, only to click over and see what you'd written.

    I'm a little afraid my rant might get me in trouble with my conservative relatives! But this immigration thing has been the non-stop topic of discussion since I got back. I fear I'm getting up on a bit of a soapbox about it myself, but I truly, truly worry about the level of "patriotic idolatry" (as a pastor of mine calls it) I see in Christian people in the U.S. I guess the value of living overseas is that one can try to look at issues with a more global perspective, even if that perspective is not always appreciated. :)

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger HaleyLaRae said…

    Hey, there! I agree with you for the most part, but just wanted to let you know... it's not an issue with immigrants, but with illegal immigrants. Yes, most legal immigrants have or are learning English, but it is the illegal immigrants that are flooding in over the border that are the cause of concern. I agree that the view of immigration into America is greatly influenced by experiences in other countries where visas are rarely given out, but once again... the issue is with illegal immigrants, not immigration.

     
  • At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen, Thor. I agree. I was just watching Russia Today and they were talking about immigration to Russia. My first thought was... why would people immigrate to Russia? But the sad truth is that there are countries where it is so bad, that people would risk their lives just to live somewhere better. They don't care if it is legal or illegal. Working in East LA, I got the chance to interact with many people in different phases or stages of the "legal" process. Most people have no clue about the extremely difficult process of becoming legal. I am not saying people SHOULD break the law. But if my kids were living in poverty and I could make some more money as a day laborer, I would risk my life to come to the USA. God forbid, even if it was illegal.

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can easily tell you why it’s so easy for you to tell us what’s wrong with our immigration process. You’re not the one whose tax dollars are going to pay for the medical care and social programs that will help those who cross over the border into the United States. In California alone, we spend $1.4 billion PER YEAR just on illegal immigration. That’s a whole heck of a lot of money to spend. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve gone to several Latin American countries, seen the poor living conditions, heard the stories of workers and understand the drive to come to the US. My mother immigrated from Latin America...I wouldn’t be here if she hadn’t been able to come over into the US. I’m a fan of immigration! But there is a fine line between those who are coming into the country legally, and those who are coming in illegally (my mom came legally).
    Our government has a VERY hard job to do in deciding who they are letting come into our country. And for all that are rejected, it is a travesty. But what are your solutions? As it is, California is over our heads in debt, and it keeps crawling up. We can’t pay our schools enough so that all students can get adequate education. It would be great if it could be a mandate for everyone to learn Spanish as a part of our education (Spanish was my first language, so I’m covered here). But do you know the implications of that? Do you know the amount of money that would be required to allow that to come to fruition? As it is, every high school student in California has the option of taking ANY foreign language. It is a requirement that one takes at least 2 years of a foreign language. We simply do not have the resources to extend this. It would be a devistatingly chaotic process in which our current system would have to be completely uprooted. Having worked in the Los Angeles school district, let me tell you…it ain’t gonna happen. Schools are scraping together everything possible to get as much money as they can. And sadly, the schools that have more ESL classes get more funding...so you know what happens? Teachers force their kids to stay in the ESL classes. They need the money. What are our solutions? Allow more immigrants...we need more money for our systems. Mandate Spanish language courses...we need more money. Frankly, I can’t give any more money to taxes. My husband and I have the absolute maximum amount of money withheld from our paychecks every month, and he has an extra couple hundred dollars held additionally each month. We ended up having to shell out an additional $3,000 to the state of California for our taxes this year. And we do NOT make a lot of money! This is our problem. If you can come up with a solution, please let us know. I’ll be very happy to let our congress members know.
    Also, please see this site about why your friend was rejected a visa. He should go do a personal interview (or a second interview if he hasn’t already gone once) http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/denials/denials_1361.html
    He can still make it here if he gives some more effort to it.
    Additionally, I don’t know if you actually took a look at what the Spanish lyrics were to the Star Spangled Banner. It’s not just an issue of them translating it...they took EXTENSIVE creative liberties. See link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5369145 It’s very easy to argue the issues at the surface. But there are underlying circumstances to everything. We’re not a bunch of bigots stomping on the rights of others, not caring about the poor, sitting on our piles of money, eating cake. Okay, there might be some, but I find it completely insulting when I am lumped in with the “lazy Americans”, or those who are demanding that all immigrants be shipped back to their countries of origin. That is NOT the opinion of the majority of Americans.
    And, regarding your comment about invading Mexico to obtain our southwestern states, how do you think every single independent country has gained their independence and their land? The US was just one of the last countries to invade another to gain more land. Living in Lithuania, I’m sure you know the turmoil of a country that has had overly extensive problems in gaining independence. You’ve been invaded, you’ve had mass deportations of your people to Siberia, you’ve been overthrown several times. You should understand the process of independence. All men are greedy. It can’t be said that parts of the US are not US territory because they once belonged to someone else. If that is the case, then the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany could take back the territory of Lithuania, which was once theirs. And frankly, if we were to give back our southwestern states, do you think that would solve anything? No! People would just be banging down the doors to get into Kansas or Nebraska.
    I have no soapbox...only important facts and opinions to share. Again, if ANYONE has some solutions, please share. We are all aware of the problems. I am more than willing to go to my local representatives and share with them some possible solutions. Your solutions are welcome.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Thor...you and I have mutual friends in Josh and Katie Loveland. They sent me your way.

    I read this post, and shook my head at how similar my view is with yours. I've been living in Russia for nearly three years, and it is so true what you said about seeing things differently when you're on this side of the ocean.

    I could go on and on, but I'll spare you....
    blessings to you,
    April

     

Post a Comment

<< Home